Sunday can be the most difficult day of the week when are unhappy at work. The familiar dread of Monday morning is only amplified by feeling trapped or hopeless, due to a lack of other options.
The first step to making change is deciding your ultimate career goal. If you’re unsure then spend some time asking yourself the following questions;
- What do people tell you that your good at?
- What do you enjoy doing?
- Are there elements of your current job that you’d like to do more of?
- If you won the lottery what would you spend your days doing?
If asking these questions doesn’t give you a clear answer, then are there any elements of your answers that you could explore further? Can you volunteer in a role in order to try it out? Do you know anyone in the role who would agree to you shadowing them? Don’t be afraid to try more than one option for size. We are in work for a long time and reading about a role isn’t the same as actually being in the job.
Once you have an idea of a job goal then write it down. Research shows that people are much likely to commit to something if they’ve written it down.
Now you have your goal you need to to something every single day to work towards it. Examples could be;
- Researching the role you’re interested in
- Studying towards a qualification
- Finding opportunities in your current role to gain experience which may help you when you come to apply for your new opportunities
- Making contact with people in the same role
- Volunteering in a similar role, which can help you gain experience you need
Keep focussed and keep reminding yourself that change is possible, you just need to be determined and stay possible.
If you’re not able to leave your current job soon, is there any way for you to make the best of your current situation? Are there tasks that you enjoy that you can do more of? Also, try and connect to the reason you applied for your existing job in the first place, are there opportunities to find some meaning by focussing on your initial passion for the role?
Lastly, you may need to find space in your daily life in order to work towards your career goal which I’ll cover in a later post.
Bee the change, love & light,
The Happy Bee x